One of the most versatile herbs?? Absolutely!
More and more research has been coming out about turmeric and its amazing health benefits. Turmeric contains compounds called curcuminoids, which have been investigated to have medicinal properties. One of these compounds called curcumin has been recognised to have pharmacological activities including antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. However it’s amazing anti-inflammatory properties is what makes turmeric such an amazing herb.
Inflammation is the cause of many diseases and ill health these days and so many diseases such as gastrointestinal conditions, types of arthritis and acne to name a few are caused by an inflammatory response in the body. Research shows that curcumin has the capability of reacting with various molecular targets involved in inflammation and down regulating their response. Studies have shown turmeric may be effective for the following conditions:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Dyspepsia and Gastric Ulcers
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- ALL INFLAMMATORY STATES!!
Even though adding fresh turmeric into food is encouraged and will offer health benefits, the curcumin content is turmeric is low and roughly 3% by weight. Therefore for therapeutic intake curcumin is recommended in a supplement form (note that correct dosing of turmeric depending on various conditions may vary).
Do you love turmeric now too?? I say go to your Asian grocer and add it into your dinner tonight!
* Disclaimer: My posts are not to be used to treat or diagnose health concerns and provided as information only. They should not be used as individualised treatment plans and programs. Contact your health professional to investigate what advice is best for you.